Slip And Fall Claim

January 8, 2009

The following is an expert answer given by Florida Premises Liability Lawyer, Joseph M. Maus, and taken from AllExperts.com, a free Q & A service on the internet:

Question: It has been about 1 1/2 years since I fell out of the doorway of an apt where my shoe caught on the door stoop. I went face first and caught myself but injured both ankles and my knee. Went to a doctor. immediately thinking had broken both ankles. Wasn’t checked in upper body. Have had pain all along but has gotten worse so went to doctor recently and found I have torn tendons in both shoulders and need surgery. Is it too late to sue and do I even have a case. This happened in Florida.

Answer: Cathy, I can try to provide you with some helpful information about your fall, but please consult with an attorney in your area to determine whether you have a valid claim. Please also note there is a 4 year statute of limitations which applies to a slip and fall claim in Florida. Your e-mail doesn’t say whose apartment doorway you were walking thru when you tripped, or what caused you to trip. A property owner in Florida owes two duties to persons legally on the property:

  1. to maintain the property in a reasonably safe condition, and
  2. to warn people of dangerous conditions that are not obvious or apparent.

You may have a claim if there was some problem with the door stoop that caused you to fall, i.e. a nail sticking up or a piece of metal sticking up. If your fall was caused simply because
you did not pay attention when you were walking through the doorway and tripped over the threshold, then you may not have a claim. There are many issues which apply to a slip and fall claim in Florida and I would be happy to discuss it with you in detail. Your best bet is to speak with an attorney that specializes in premises liability claims to determine whether you have a claim. If the accident only happened 1 1/2 years ago, you are well within the Florida’s 4 year statute of limitation, but you shouldn’t wait any longer to speak with an attorney. People’s memories fade and evidence disappears over time. My office is in Pompano Beach and you can contact me toll free at (866) 556-5529 if you would like to discuss your claim further. If your claim did not happen in South Florida, I would probably recommend retaining an attorney in the area where the accident occurred. Most attorneys handle slip and fall claim cases on a contingency basis, meaning if they don’t recover money for your injuries and damages, you don’t owe an attorney’s fee. Good Luck. Joe Maus http://www.jmmlawyers.com

For more information about a slip and fall claim, contact Florida premises liability lawyer Joseph M. Maus at 1-866-556-5529 or email him today.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: