Nightclub Slip And Fall Case

March 13, 2009

The following is an expert answer given by Florida Personal Injury Accidents Lawyer, Joseph M. Maus, and taken from AllExperts.com, a free Q & A service on the internet:

Subject: Wet floor results in laceration and medical treatment

Question: Last night my wife was out with friends at a nightclub.  The floor was wet near their table and my wife fell against the table and suffered a very severe injury to her thigh.  The table is made of
leather with a glass top.  She sustained an injury from the protruding glass corner, which cut into her so deep that the police and an ambulance were summoned.  She received first aid care at the scene and
declined the ambulance ride (per my advice) because it would take her to a hospital too far away from our home.  I was on the telephone with her. Her friend drove her to the emergency room at a closer hospital where she received medical treatment consisting of 9 internal stitches and 26 stiches at the laceration, and a tetanus shot.  Now we must deal with the healing process.  It seems to me there is potential for a lawsuit due to negligence and pain and suffering.  I am sure there will be medical bills to pay.  We are located in Florida.

Answer: Lawrence, the owner of a nightclub owes two duties to its customers – maintain the property in a reasonably safe condition, and to warn its customers of dangerous conditions that the customers cannot appreciate themselves.  In order for a property owner to be responsible for a slip and fall case due to water on the floor, the water must have existed on the floor for enough time that the owner or staff from the bar knew, or should have known, the water was there, i.e. and had a chance to clean it up or at least put out a warning sign letting the customers know of the water.

Assuming the water was there for a long enough time for someone at the club to do something about it, your wife has a claim against the owner/management of the nightclub.  Any claim she would make would include a claim for past and future medical bills, and for past and future pain and suffering.

You should speak with an attorney who is a slip and fall case expert in your area to get the claim going.  One of the first things you want to do is verify the type and amount of insurance coverage.  Most likely, a nightclub is going to carry "medical payments" coverage which will allow up front money to pay for your out of pocket medical expenses for your slip and fall case.

If you are in the South Florida area, please give me a call at (866) 556-5529.  I have been specializing in personal injury claims including slip and fall cases for 16 years.  I handle all cases on a contingent
basis which means if we do not recover any money for your wife’s claim, there is no charge for costs or attorney’s fees.  If you’re in an area other than South Florida, I can refer you to an experienced slip and fall case attorney in your area.

For more information about a slip and fall case, contact Florida premises liability lawyer Joseph M. Maus at 1-866-556-5529 or email him today.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: