Archive for January 7th, 2011


Anti-Consumer bill will protect auto makers in defective car cases

January 7, 2011

Many people have been seriously injured or killed due to defects in cars. In order to protect the victims, consumer attorneys have worked hard for years bringing suits against car companies who have poorly designed cars. Though these lawsuits have led to the recall of thousands of vehicles and have consequently saved many lives, things might be changing very soon. On Tuesday, the Florida Senate Judicial Committee will meet to discuss an anti-consumer bill led by Ford Motor Company that will have huge consequences for consumers that are injured or killed by defective cars.

Throughout the years there have been many cases filed because of this issue. For example, the Ford Pinto had a poorly designed gas tank that would explode if the vehicle was even tapped in the rear by another vehicle. Just a few weeks ago a case was settled with Toyota Motor Company for a 2009 accident that killed a family when a wrong sized floor mat got trapped in the accelerator. Additionally there have been thousands injured and killed due to roof’s crushing during rollovers, seat belt failures, airbag failures, faulty brakes, etc. The lawsuits filed in the past have helped to compensate the victims and their families.

Although car manufactures have traditionally carried the burden of providing reasonable protection to those involved in accidents, this bill would essentially get them off the hook in cases where people are injured or killed because of a defect. The Florida Supreme court had ruled years ago that it was up to a jury to decide whether a car company was at fault for the injury. If this bill is passed, the burden would fall solely on the person at fault, and families and the State of Florida will be forced pay for medical bills and future care. Furthermore, car manufacturers will no longer be held responsible for these accidents, so they will no longer be forced to make cars safer.

Voice your opinions against this bill by contacting your State Representative.

%d bloggers like this: